Monuments, art and museums
Oval square built in the XVIII century as a market for butchers, fishmongers and oil vendors.
“E munumént dla pègna” is known by the eldest local people as “e funtanòn”: from the mouth of its three mysterious masks, fresh water used to run from a water-bearing layer which, 30 years after its inauguration in 1874, dried up.
The museum was opened in 2008 and occupies the rooms, the basement, the donjon and the courtyard of the 14th century fortress Rocca Sforzesca, which has been completely restored to become a museum and a cultural space. The permanent archaeological display features items from the Bronze Age, the Roman times and the Middle Ages. The original medieval town’s settlement can be seen in the archaeological site of ‘Prati di S. Andrea’.
La Bottega dello Sguardo is a former artisan shop which houses a library – media library dedicated to performance subjects starting with the archive of Renata M. Molinari. The space will be the centre of other activities of the cultural association by the same name, which wants to create a network between those who love theatre and its stories, and promote in the region the ability to read and understand artistic and cultural processes through meetings, workshops, conferences, theatre readings, guided paths.
It used to be an ENEL power transformer cabinet. Now it is a ‘non-automatic distributor of courage’. The street artists of ‘Collettivo FX’ from Reggio Emilia painted this mural. It depicts the faces of the four Cotignola-born Righteous heroes Luigi and Anna Varoli, Vittorio and Serafina Zanzi, as well as those of the seven Martyrs of the Senio River executed by a Nazi firing squad in October 1944, of partisan Leno Casadio and local priest Father Stefano Casadio who freed Cotignola from Nazi occupation with the ‘white flag’ scheme, and of young partisan Esiodo Rava.
The cultural centre “Carlo Venturini” includes the library, computers, the art museum, the magazines and newspapers library and the archive collections.
This is a museum dedicated to aviation and war history; the exhibits include objects found by the members of the R.a.F (Romagna Air Finders), amongst which the remains of a Thunderball P47, an airplane of the Brazilian army which was found on the hills of the area of Bologna, and a Mersserschimtt BF109G, a german airplane founded in the countryside around San Bernardino od Lugo with the rests of its pilot Hans Fischer.
This monument celebrates the freedom of press and the underground press which was in action during the liberation of Italy at the end of World War II; underground press was an outstanding phenomenon during those historical events and a fundamental means to achieve freedom and liberate the country. The monument is a printing machine similar to those used during the liberation days; behind the machine stand the plates of the news magazine and the Italian and European flags, which were the inspiration for those who fought for freedom.
Originally, the only doorway to access the town of Bagnara was located on the western side of the castle walls; the entrance had a drawbridge which was destroyed in 1617. The doorway was guarded by a person in charge of closing it at night and reopening in the morning; his duties included also to make sure that no one may enter the castle with arms.