PALAZZO SFORZA

Palazzo Sforza Cotignola cortileAncient palace belonging to Sforza family. The palace was rebuilt in 1961 according to the original design.

As most of the town centre of Cotignola, also this palace was distroyed during World War II, as fierce fightings were taking place in this area between the end of 1944 and the beginning of 1945.

The palace had been originally built in 1376 by Giovanni Attendoli, father of Muzio Attendolo Sforza; in 1892 it had been declared “Monumento Nazionale per l’Arte” (national art monument) but this wasn’t enough to avoid its distruction.
In 1961 it was then rebuilt with the original design of the former palace and it still keeps some traces of original pieces, as parts of the new building. Amongst them there’s the cotto coat of arms of the Sforza, which had been put back on the doorway; this coat of arms is now the symbol of the town.
The inner courtyard of the palace hosts some columns of the arcades and other archeological finds and ancient remains of great values.

The palace now hosts art exhibitions, while the upper floor houses the historical archives of the town and the museum Museo Luigi Varoli, dedicated to the local artist.

Useful information

Address: Corso Sforza 21 – 48033 Cotignola (RA)
Phone: 0545 908873
Mail: mfabbri@comune.cotignola.ra.it

How to get
Historical town centre, in Corso Sforza. Car park and disabled access.

Timetables informations
it can be visited during Museo Varoli opening hours (see link)

 

(Updated to 25/08/2021)

logo bassa romagna mia

Official tourist information site of the Union of Municipalities of Bassa Romagna

Piazza della Libertà, 13
48012 Bagnacavallo (RA)
Tel. +39 0545 280898
turismo@unione.labassaromagna.it

P.IVA e Cod. Fiscale 02291370399
P.E.C. pg.unione.labassaromagna.it@legalmail.it