S. Michele Arcangelo is the main church of Bagnacavallo. Together with San Pietro in Sylvis church, it forms the parish complex of the town.
The oldest evidence of the building dates back to the beginning of XII century. Then it was completely rebuilt towards 1170 by Lord Malvicino il Grande. The apse dates back to XV century. Along the centuries, it underwent several alterations. The present facade, which dates back to 1622, is in baroque style, with three portals and a central large window.
The interior has a single nave and a poligonal apse embellished by coloured stained glasses. This church preserves an interesting XVI century painting by Bartolomeo Ramenghi, known as “Bagnacavallo senior”, depicting “Christ on a throne of clouds with the Saints Michael Archangel, Peter, John the Baptist and Bernardino”. At the bottom of left nave there is a chapel dedicated to The Blessed Virgin, considered as well as Saint Michael, patron of the town.
Address: Piazza della Libertà – 48012 Bagnacavallo (RA)
Phone: 0545 64363 church
How to get
In the heart of the historical town centre, it is situated at the beginning of via Mazzini. Car park along the adjacent streets with parking-meter. Accessible to disabled.
(Updated to 10/05/2023)