Throughout the centuries former Castrum Fusiniani was ruled by the Counts of Cunio, the Este family and the Pope; Fusignano is the birthplace of the musician Arcangelo Corelli (1653 – 1713).
After the Second World War it was almost completely rebuilt.
The town has few original buildings that survived the war; one of these is the Church of San Giovanni Battista, housing a precious XVI century painting depicting the “Christening of Christ” (ascribed to Dosso and Battista Dossi) and the altarpiece of the “Beata Vergine Maria Patrona Fusiniani”, painted in 1570 by the monk Francesco Acquaviva. The Church of Pio Suffragio (also called temple of the dead) still bears its original 1753 features; it houses paintings ascribed to Benedetto Del Buono and an urn of the school of Canova.
The former XVI century homonymous hospital houses the town museum Museo Civico San Rocco, home to a remarkable collection of devotional ceramics.
Not far from Fusignano, the sanctuary of San Savino houses a monumental Byzantine sarcophagus (V century), where the saint is still buried; Saint Savino evangelized these lands. The 1737 villa of the Neoclassical poet Vincenzo Monti is in the village of Maiano Monti.
For more information, consult the chapter on Fusignano of “Terra del Benvivere – Tourist Guide of the Union of Municipalities of Lower Romagna!”
Weitere Informationen finden Sie im Kapitel über Fusignano von “Terra del Benvivere – Fremdenführer der Union der Gemeinden der unteren Romagna!”
How to get there
Alfonsine is in the province of Ravenna, it is 18km from Ravenna, 65km from Bologna and 60km from Ferrara. Alfonsine is along the main road 16 Adriatica (linking up Ravenna and Ferrara)
Tollgates: Bagnacavallo, on the A14dir (km 13) and Faenza on the A14 (km 28).