According to the tradition, during Ravenna’s Battle (1511), the French army headed by Gaston de Foix stayed for a while in Lugo. It seems that a soldier painted, on the inside wall of the city gate, an Image of Our Lady. The image was worshipped by popular devotion, so later it was built an horatory and then a church.
The structure of the chirch has a single nave, with vaults.
Inside there are three chapels with altar.
One of these is dedicated to “Beata Vergine delle Grazie”; next there is a XVIII century canvas attributed to the Swiss painter Ignazio Stern, depicting the moment in which S. Francis riceives the stigmata.
Beside the main altar, there are two paintings by Benedetto del Buono: one is dedicated to the “Annunciata” and the other to the angel.
The wide choir behind the main altar preserves an important XVIIIth century crucifix and symbols of the confraternity known as “Confraternita delle Stimmate di San Francesco”.
Address: Corso Matteotti (Porta del Ghetto) – 48022 Lugo (RA)
Phone: 0545 38444 – 38559 Information Office
How to get
At the end of Corso Matteotti, in via Vespignani 8, few steps from the crossing with the inner ring road. Car park along the street.
open during services (holidays 8.30, week days 17.00)
(Updated to 17/12/2020)