S. Girolamo church dates back to the middle of the XV century. It was assigned to the congregation of the Gerolamine monks of Beato Pietro from Pisa in 1496. They built the monastery and the church. The first name of the church was Santa Maria, then Santa Maria delle Grazie and San Girolamo; finally, in 1537, it was named after S. Girolamo only. The building was almost completely destroyed by the 1688 earthquake, then restored and completed in 1718.
The interior preserves a sixteenth century canvas by an anonymous painter from Romagna, depicting “S.Thomas’ disbelief”.
In the third chapel on the right can be seen the tombstone of Giulio Goldoni, father of the famous playwriter Carlo. Giulio Goldoni worked as a phisician in Bagnacavallo and died here in 1731.
The second chapel on the right houses a willow tree crucifix of fine craftsmanship, which dates back to the end of the XV century – beginning of the XVI century.
The monastery annexed to the church used to house a famous school of Philosophy and Theology, attended by students coming from the whole Region. In 1839, it became a civil hospital and kept this function till the nineties of the last century.
Address: Via Garzoni – 48012 Bagnacavallo (RA)
Phone: 0545 280898, info – Tourist Information Office
How to get
You can reach the church by walk from Piazza della Libertà proceeding through Via Garibaldi, Via Vittorio Veneto and then Via Garzoni.
By car, from Porta Pieve go along Via Garibaldi, Via V. Veneto and then Via Garzoni. Car park in the sorroundings. Disabled access.
open during special services and events
(Updated to 10/05/2023)