The church of “S. Maria della Pace”, also known as “Carmine” church, was built, in baroque style with neo classical tendencies, in 1671 in the area where one of the town fortress used to be.
Its origin is connected with a prodigious peace contract occurred in the XIV s. between Guelphs and Ghibellins: before the bloody conflict was about to start, an image of the Virgin appeared whilst preventing the battle to begin.
Inside, it is single nave with three chapels on each side: in the first chapel on the right it is kept a precious XVIth century canvas painted by Giovanni Battista Ramenghi known as “Bagnacavallo junior”. The art work depicts “Rosary misteries”; the second chapel on the right is dedicated to the worship of the image of the Blessed Virgin, painted in fresco on a block of wall, erected where the Virgin is supposed to have appeared to the two enemies. Now in this place, located along via Naviglio Inferiore, it has been built a little chapel.
Address: Via Mazzini – 48012 Bagnacavallo (RA)
Phone: 0545 280898
How to get
From Piazza della Libertà go along via Mazzini, direction Porta Superiore.
Car park in front of the church and in the surronding streets. Facilities for disabled.
for info and special openings please contact the Church of S. Michele, tel. 0545 64363
(Updated to 28/07/2022)