This old convent located in the heart of the town housed till some years ago Capuchin nuns that lived in complete reclusion. The complex includes the convent, the church and a wide inner garden.
Built in 1336 for the Camaldolites, the monastery had a very troubled history. In 1688 it was destroyed by an earthquake, then reconstructed in Baroque style.
Following to the suppression of religious orders in the Napoleonic period, the monastery was abandoned by the Camaldolites and in 1816 occupied by Capuchin nuns, who run the convent as a boarding school for noble girls. Even the poet George Gordon Byron decided to have his daugther Allegra spend there three years.
Address: Via G. Garibaldi – 48012 Bagnacavallo (RA)
Phone: 0545 280898 Tourist Information Office
How to get
The convent is located in via G. Garibaldi, in the historical town centre. Car park in front of the church and in the surrounding streets.
Closing days: the convent is closed to the pubblic
(Updated to 28/03/2023)