An half buried gallery connects the inner yard of Palazzo Vecchio in Bagnacavallo to via Trento Trieste. It has always been public and it is one of the few still existing pieces of the older defensive system of the city.
Even if the gallery is located into an ecclesistical area (it is the southern part of the wide undergrounds under a former Gesuite monastery), it has always been public. This detail, together with the evidences emerged during restoration works (clearly defensive structures) has lead the scholars to the hypothesis that the gallery could be one of the few still existing pieces of the ancient stronghold of the town, the older defensive system in Bagnacavallo (about 1300). The present structure dates back to the XVII century, which is the period in which the Gesuite monastery was built. Then it was modified in the XVIII century.
The main ceiling consists of lower vaults made of bricks, while the adjacent rooms have cross vaults.
Address: Via Trento Trieste – 48012 Bagnacavallo (RA)
Phone: 0545 280898
Fax: 0545 280859
How to get
The gallery is very close to piazza della Libertà, via Trento Trieste 3. Car park along via Trento Trieste (with parking meter) and in piazza della Libertà (with parking meter). Partially accessible to disabled.
it can be visited only during events
(Updated to 26/10/2019)