The votive urn located in the central square, piazza Calcagnini, celebrates the marquis Marchese Celio Calcagnini, a nobleman belonging to one of the most important local families.
The marquis lived between 1479 and 1541 and is famous especially for his essay, written in 1525 and published only in 1544, regarding the turning of earth during daytime, which remained almost unknown.

The urn has a style inspired by Canova and dates back to the beginning of the XIX century; it was made to decorate Villa Calcagnini, which is now completely destroyed due to World War II bombing, so we can’t see anymore its beautiful English gardens designed by the Bolognese architect Filippo Antolini.

The urn is now located in a peculiar place which used to be the setting of the castle of Fusignano, which had been built by the nobles Conti of Cunio, soon after the destruction of their former castle of Donigallia.

Useful information

Address: Piazza Calcagnini – 48034 Fusignano (RA)
Phone: 0545 955653 Information Office
Email: urp@comune.fusignano.ra.it

How to get
Historical town centre, in Piazza Calcagnini. Car park nearby. Disabled access available.

(Updated to 13/07/2023)

logo bassa romagna mia

Official tourist information site of the Union of Municipalities of Bassa Romagna

Piazza della Libertà, 13
48012 Bagnacavallo (RA)
Tel. +39 0545 280898

P.IVA e Cod. Fiscale 02291370399
P.E.C. pg.unione.labassaromagna.it@legalmail.it