Bagnara defensive system, planned by Barnabò Visconti in the XIV century, consisted in a moat surrounding the boundary wall of the the fortress. It is the only still complete example of medieval "castrum" in Emilia Romagna.
Oval square built in the XVIII century as a market for butchers, fishmongers and oil vendors.
“E munumént dla pègna” is known by the eldest local people as “e funtanòn”: from the mouth of its three mysterious masks, fresh water used to run from a water-bearing layer which, 30 years after its inauguration in 1874, dried up.
It used to be an ENEL power transformer cabinet. Now it is a ‘non-automatic distributor of courage’. The street artists of ‘Collettivo FX’ from Reggio Emilia painted this mural. It depicts the faces of the four Cotignola-born Righteous heroes Luigi and Anna Varoli, Vittorio and Serafina Zanzi, as well as those of the seven Martyrs of the Senio River executed by a Nazi firing squad in October 1944, of partisan Leno Casadio and local priest Father Stefano Casadio who freed Cotignola from Nazi occupation with the ‘white flag’ scheme, and of young partisan Esiodo Rava.
This monument celebrates the freedom of press and the underground press which was in action during the liberation of Italy at the end of World War II; underground press was an outstanding phenomenon during those historical events and a fundamental means to achieve freedom and liberate the country. The monument is a printing machine similar to those used during the liberation days; behind the machine stand the plates of the news magazine and the Italian and European flags, which were the inspiration for those who fought for freedom.
Originally, the only doorway to access the town of Bagnara was located on the western side of the castle walls; the entrance had a drawbridge which was destroyed in 1617. The doorway was guarded by a person in charge of closing it at night and reopening in the morning; his duties included also to make sure that no one may enter the castle with arms.
Bagnara’s castle is one of the few completely preserved strongholds of the whole region. Its walls were built in 1354 by Bernabò Visconti; he had the moat dug along the wall, but unfortunately it is not possible to know how deep it was, as the moat was drained in the XVIII century.
This small square located in the historical town centre of Conselice was recently named after the writer Giovannino Guareschi (the author of Don Camillo and Peppone’s stories). The square has been restored by the set designer Gino Pellegrini, who is renown for his top-level experience in the Hollywood cinema industry.
The stronghold of Lugo is a remarkable specimen of its kind, especially because in Romagna fortresses used to characterize and mark the developement of hurban settlements since the second part of the Middle Ages. But the most important period of Lugo’s stronghold...