Bagnara’s castle is one of the few completely preserved strongholds of the whole region. Its walls were built in 1354 by Bernabò Visconti; he had the moat dug along the wall, but unfortunately it is not possible to know how deep it was, as the moat was drained in the XVIII century.
This small square located in the historical town centre of Conselice was recently named after the writer Giovannino Guareschi (the author of Don Camillo and Peppone’s stories). The square has been restored by the set designer Gino Pellegrini, who is renown for his top-level experience in the Hollywood cinema industry.
The stronghold of Lugo is a remarkable specimen of its kind, especially because in Romagna fortresses used to characterize and mark the developement of hurban settlements since the second part of the Middle Ages. But the most important period of Lugo’s stronghold...
The ‘Palazzo dei Contadini’ (farmers’ palace) was restored in 1998 and is now a multipurpose cultural centre, popularly know as "Ca di cuntaden", in the local dialect.
The present town hall (the Palazzo Comunale) has always been a public building and is thought to be as old as the castle (sec. XI), to which it was attached, as the Napoleonic land registers state in 1800.
The clock tower was built where the old Medieval castle gateway used to be since it was founded around the early centuries after 1000, probably upon Barbarossa’s wish, as some documents state. The same old documents report that the castle was surrounded by very strong walls and a deep moat called "la Fossa" (the moat). What is thought to be left of the old castle is probably just one of the two towers, which was thereafter transformed into the clock tower, before 1377.
The buildings of ‘Tarabina’ were originally rice warehouses and tobacco factories with dry houses. The first building dates back to the second half of the XIX century, when the rice production started.
The sun dial of the townhall Palazzo Comunale was probably originally located in the ancient Palazzo Brandolini, the XVth century palace which formerly occupied the area were are now located the townhall and the municipal theatre.
In the historical town centre of Bagnacavallo there’s a sun-dial which has been designed by Giovanni Paltrinieri, a gnomonics expert from Bologna, and decorated by the famous artist Remo Brindisi.